Use washi tape to make these cute washi tape flags for decorating cakes, cupcakes, and more! All you need is your favorite washi tape, toothpicks, and a few minutes.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links which allow me to earn a small commission when a purchase is made at no additional cost to you. Read more here.
If you’d like a cute decoration for a dessert (like a cake or cupcake), making some tiny washi tape flags is a simple decoration to create yourself. Even better, if you already have washi tape and some toothpicks on hand, it’s a free craft that takes minutes.
Where to Buy Washi Tape
If you don’t already have washi tape on hand, I have tips on where to find pretty tapes. Here’s some of my favorite washi tape on Amazon and here’s a list of my favorite Etsy shops selling washi tape.
If you liked the floral washi tape I used here, you can purchase it from Etsy.
I would look for tapes that are about 1/2″ (or about 12-14mm) wide. Even wider tapes can be really fun to use as well. And if you have smaller tapes (like 1/4″ or so), you can add multiple tapes to one toothpick for some fun variety.
All you need now are some toothpicks or skewers to attach your tape to. Standard toothpicks are about 2.5″ inches long. These work fine for using as cupcake flags, but they can be a little on the short side.
If you want to make these flags for a larger cake or another tall dessert, you might want some longer toothpicks or skewers.
How to Make Washi Tape Flags Step by Step
To make these washi tape flags step by step, you can watch the video or follow the text instructions and step by step image below. Or, you can even print the printable instructions at the end of the post.
- To make washi tape flags for cupcakes or other projects, simply select a spool of washi tape and a toothpick or skewer.
- Unroll a few inches of washi tape and fold it around a toothpick. Align edges as you fold. Trim the tape.
- Add an angled “v” cut to the edge of the flag to create the flag shape.
And here’s the printable card if you would like:
How to Make Washi Tape Flags
- Washi tape in a variety of widths 1/2" wide is a great starting point
- Standard toothpicks 2.5" or 4"-6" wooden skewers
- Gather washi tape and toothpicks (or skewers).
- Unroll washi tape at least 2" or so (you want about double the size of your finished flag). Place a toothpick or skewer in the middle of the unrolled tape and fold the tape in half over the toothpick. Align the edges as you fold.
- Trim the flag from the washi tape roll.
- Cut out a wide "v" shape on the edge to make a flag shape.
- Make more using different widths and colors of washi tape!
- Use the finished flags to decorate cupcakes, cakes, other baked goods, and more!